Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Watarasebashi

For the Valentine's Day week, here is my own English translation
of the beautiful and lovely Japanese love song Watarasebashi whose
Japanese lyrics were originally written by the beautiful and lovely Japanese singer
Moritaka Chisato.

Watarasebashi


You said you liked the sunset
that you saw on Watarase Bridge.
I was raised in a beautiful place, wasn't I?
I replied.

"I want to live here," you said
That day you came to see me,
in this city that is shaken by the train.

I still can't forget it,
even now when I pray at Yagumo Shrine,
I pray for you,
If I could have one prayer come true,
I'd want to return to that time with you.

Do you remember that pay phone
that stands alone on the barbershop's corner?
Yesterday without thinking,
I wanted to make a call,
I've picked up that receiver so many times.

The other day when I climbed alone
down Watarase River's banks
I watched the water's constant flow
the beautiful sunset's final glow.

The north wind blew so bitter cold
that I caught a cold.
It's nobody's fault,
The fact that you can't live in this city
has separated us,
I've worried about it so much
but
I know I can't live away from here.

The storefronts that you said you liked
are getting dark today too,
The wide sky and the far mountains,
The city the two of us walked
The city with the beautiful sunset
This city that is shaken by the train.

No comments: