Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Renfield Sings of Being A Highwayman


Renfield R. Renfield was having a dream where he was the director, writer and star of a West London musical.

In the musical, Renfield played an 18th Century English highwayman- one of those colourful masked bandits who rode on horseback and held up stagecoaches with a gun.

Renfield was having great fun singing this song which he wrote entitled I Am A Highwayman:

I am a highwayman
I am a highwayman
I go behind a tree
instead of go to the can
because I am a highwayman.
I ride upon a horse
but not side saddle of course
because I am a highwayman
so catch me if you can.
The open road is where I ride
the countryside is where I hide
because I am a highwayman
I sweat because I don't use Ban
or any deodorant
save spice of the Orient
so smell me as I tan
because I am a highwayman.
I'm dashing
not trashing
I kiss the ladies fair
and pull the old men's hair
as I rob the stagecoach
of this diamond broach
and many a splendid thing
including this golden ring
so smile as I sing 
and say with a zing
that I am a highwayman
now catch me if you can.
I'm riding to the hills
but not for the thrills
because I am a highwayman
running from the King's law while I can
because if I'm caught
it's the hangman's knot
and I'm left to rot
food for a vulture's pot.
This fair head is all I've got
so I'll flee this spot
and wish you not
Godspeed till
my horse is hot to trot.

-Renfield




To be continued.

No comments: